As of 24th August 2018, all rented properties in the ACT must comply with the amended Residential Tenancies Act 1997, directly affecting smoke alarm compliance.
In addition to legislation, properties must also comply to the Building Code of Australia 3.7.2.
The owner or lessor of a property must install a working smoke alarm that complies with AS3786.
- Smoke alarms may be hard wired or battery operated.
- Lessors cannot enter into tenancy agreements unless smoke alarms are installed within the property.
- Smoke alarms must comply with the Building Code of Australia.
- If homes are built after 1994, they must have at least 240V hard-wired alarms.
- Homes built prior to 1994 can have 9V battery-operated alarms.
- As per the Building Code of Australia, homes must have at least one smoke alarm per floor, and one in each space between bedrooms.