Australian house fire facts

Australian house fire facts
  • When you’re asleep you won’t smell smoke from a fire
  • Electrical appliances cause 40% of house fires
  • You are twice as likely to die in a house fire without a working smoke alarm
  • The most common house fire cause is from unattended cooking followed by faulty electrical appliances, heaters, cigarettes and candles
  • Many household fires are caused by someone making a mistake – a moment of carelessness, forgetfulness or neglect
  • Children under five and people aged 65 years and over are twice as likely to get caught in a house fire
  • Many people do not have a fire safety escape plan, fire extinguisher or blanket for use in case of an emergency